Chess Problems Forum Index Chess Problems
Chess Problems

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indian theme and the start of this tutorial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrmip
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Indian theme and the start of this tutorial Reply with quote

[A question by 'IndianKnight' in early days of this forum]

What is exacly the Indian Theme ?

In one problem, the bishop swinged to mate. In another, The bishop moved and the rook swinged.
Is it when a piece swings and makes a mate in two or more?
I would be happy to know.
IndianKnight
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[My Answer]

I guess it is up to me to answer as I set the problem.

This theme is based on very early (1845) problem from Rev.H.A. Loveday, who at the time of composing was residing in India - thus the name.

In an indian problem, white has a line piece (=Bishop, rook or queen) and a "masking" piece (could be any even the king), which is capable of stepping into the line of fire of the

line piece. In addition to these elements Black is about to be stalemated, unless something is done. The theme normally goes like this:

(1) White line piece withdraws behind the masking square (normally called critical square)

(2) Black moves and is on the brink of a stalemate

(3) white moves the masking piece to the masking square (also called building a battery) and at the same time relieves the stalemate.

(4) Black moves. Usually the king enters into the line of fire of the masked battery.
(5) Finally the battery is unmasked and the mate delivered.

Please see if you can identify the above phases in puzzles # 1460 and 1462 ? Let me know if there is something more to explain..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[A follow-up question from 'IndianKnight']

Thanks for the explamation. The year sounds too far back. Which brings me to another question: How many themes are there???. As aforementioned, thanks for telling

me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[My response]

A very good question. Tens - maybe a hundred? Never counted them, as there is a question of subthemes, different names in different countries,etc,etc.

Very well known and generally recognized themes are for instance:
Novotny,Grimshaw,Plachutta,Indian,Roman,Bristol,Excelsior,Allumwandlung,Turton... etc,etc themes

Please do not ask me to explain them ...

[But in fact I made some effort to explain some of these themes - which is how this tutorial series started ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chess Problems Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: